Saturday, December 30, 2006

Faster Than The Eye Can See....

Let's talk....
With just one more day left in this year, I guess its in order to look back and see what 'God hath wrought'.
We lost many good people this past year, indeed too many to name here (and God bless our troops), some near and dear to us and others we only knew through their works or fame. We witnessed technological wonders unfold on our T.V. and computer screens (why do we have to capitalize T.V.?) . We've laughed, cried, mourned, celebrated, and when it's all said and done - much of this year seemed to go by in the blink of an eye.

Speaking of the swift passage of time, one of the things I love about Smooth Jazz is it's staying power, I listen to songs sometimes that seem like they were released only yesterday. Then I remember that I've been listening to this song for years. Now remember, when I talk about Smooth Jazz I'm not talking about that droll elevator-music, muzak - that sometimes passes itself off as Smooth Jazz (I like capitalizing that) , I'm talking about the good stuff - what ever that is for you - the stuff that moves you, takes you off someplace, or reminds you of another space and time.

One of the things that pushed me to produce the CD Authentic was a conversation I had with one of my daughters one day. We were riding in the car listening to the radio and she asked the name of the artist on the radio. For a moment I felt fatherly pride at being able to enrich her musical knowledge with the name of this artist, and then the thought of how many years I had been listening to this silly song occurred to me. I had been plagued with this song since before she was born! (Rebecca was 20 at the time) . Suddenly I felt that my music had a right to a place in the universe. If I had merrily tolerated songs that I really couldn't stand year after year after year, surely I had the same right to be heard!

So, as these years flash by before our eyes, I encourage you to place your stamp somewhere in one of them. It may not be in music, it may not be internationally known, but remember that the years come and go quickly and to paraphrase an old proverb - "The graveyard is full of great inventions, great ideas, great dreams, and great plans that were never put into action."

This morning's song - "Give It All Your Heart" by Herbie Hancock (with Patrice Rushen) from the 1982 CD 'Lite Me Up' . This song has helped me through many a dark day, and strengthened my FAITH and resolve. From time to time we all need to be reminded that pushing forward ain't always easy, but it does pay off.
Now, you know the drill - java, slippers, comfortable spot....

We'll talk....

No comments: