Wednesday, December 27, 2006

Heard or Herd?


Let's talk....
Ah, the wonders of the Internet. This wide open, free space to search and find all the wonderful things the world has to offer.
Here, you can find music you've never heard of, by artists you've never seen. Here, like in the days of old - YOU can discover tomorrows stars!

But do we?

Most folks think of themselves as independent thinkers "Nobody tells me what I like or don't like!", yet most of us are afraid to like what the rest of the "crowd" hasn't yet approved. It's called the 'Herd Mentality' and we all have it to one degree or another. They say it's built into us, to protect us - wander away from the herd and you're on your own against life's predators.
But what is helpful in one situation can be death in another. The 'Herd Mentality' may be good for your physical life, but it's death for your creative life.

One of my favorite things to do when I was younger was to go to a record store and search out new music. I didn't care what the group's name was, I didn't care what the label was, I didn't care about how much 'air-play' they were getting. All I cared about was what was on the disc. Those were the days when you could play an album before you bought it. I spent countless hours that way, and consequently had a huge record collection that was the envy of many. I've loaned out more albums (that I never got back) then most people ever owned. Enter the Internet - with it's gift to all of us to experience this same pleasure, yet most of us stick to the tried and true....

So my question is????

What have YOU heard lately, not which herd have you been part of....

This mornings song - "Cool" from the CD "Authentic" by Wendell Spencer on Spencer-Fields Records. Yes, in the spirit of shameless self-promotion I choose one of my personal favorites!
You know the drill - go get comfortable, then go to wendellspencer
and play "Cool".....

We'll talk....

No comments: