Sunday, December 31, 2006

From 78's to 33's to CD's to Mp3's

Let's talk....
Looking over my 'record' collection - yes, I still have records - I was caught by the changes that have taken place through the years. I have a few old 78's, those BIG records that the old folks used to play on that old Victorola (yeah, I still have one of those too), I have plenty of 33's or 'albums' as we called them. I have quiet a few cassette tapes, though I rarely play any of them. I don't have a single 8 track tape, though I had many at one time - wonder what happened to them? I have a generous supply of CD's, and a ton of Mp3's.

Time moves on and things change....

I've been asked by a few people why I don't offer Authentic as a Mp3 download and I have to explain that the CD format is probably the final hand-held frontier. Soon you'll get all of your music in digital form. Yes my friend, your modern CD's will seem as antiquated to coming generations as those old 78's.

"Mommy, look what I found in the attic - what is it?"
"Oh honey, that's what we used to call a CD player."

Sometimes I wax nostalgic, and miss the joy I used to get reading every detail on an album cover but through the years I've learned to do without that simple pleasure. The print on CD jewel boxes is so small that I can tell it wasn't meant for me to read. Kind of like some code that is only meant to be shared among the keen sighted....

Anyway, since Authentic is the first release from Spencer-Fields I wanted people to have something they could actually hold in their hands. I put the liner notes up on the website, so that they could be read by all - near and far-sighted. I think there is something special and individual about having at least a CD that you can hold. Not that silver, or other colored thing with the magic marker CD name hand printed on it - you know the one you burned instead of bought? No, I mean the actual CD the artist put sweat equity into, the one with the label they painstakingly chose. In the future I'll probably join the crowd and issue Mp3 and other digital forms of music, but right now? Hold on to what will soon be a memory to share with the grandkids.... the last music you can hold in your hand - the CD!

by the way, I named my iPod nano "record player"

This morning's song - "There's Still My Joy" by Oleta Adams from the 2006 CD "Christmas Time With Oleta". I know Christmas is over, but many didn't have a merry Christmas. Maybe now that all the shopping and anticipation is over you can reflect on what this season should really mean. Wrap your stress, greif, sorrow and strain up with all of the other holiday left-overs, throw them all out - and face the New Year fresh.
Now hit the drill - java, slippers, and that comfortable spot.

We'll talk....

No comments: