Tuesday, January 2, 2007

Hello, Pork-pie Hat!

Let's talk....
Outside of the musical instruments themselves, nothing says Jazz like a Pork-pie hat, the hat of choice by greats like Lester Young. I've been listening to some old forties Swing-Jazz, and wondering what it must have been like to see those guys play. In a way I'm glad I wasn't born back then because now I can look back on that time through rose-colored glasses. I can see them as romantic times, not the hard times they truly were.

But Ah, those great big, shiny cars. The top hat and cane. The streets lined with club after club with hot jazz streaming out the doors.

Louis Jordan and his hard-headed woman Caldonia:

Yeah, those were the days....

This morning's song.... "Hi-Heeled Sneakers" from the 2001 CD 'Urban Knights IV', just a great piece of good-time music to enjoy as we start this new year.
O.K., go ahead - java, slippers, and that comfortable spot....

We'll talk....

No comments: